Saturday, March 3, 2012

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass
by Myra McEntire
http://www.myramcentire.blogspot.com



Egmont
ISBN (hardcover): 9781606841440
Release Date (hardcover): June 14, 2011
Paperback edition available May 8, 2012

from the author's site:

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there; swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

my thoughts:

Love it! There was a lot of buzz about Hourglass right before it came out, and I have to say it was well deserved. Stories with time manipulation tend to hurt my brain; I have trouble suspending my disbelief. However, Myra McEntire handles the issue in a way that allows for a willful suspension of disbelief.

Emerson is a sympathetic character; I really felt for her while I was reading. When she was in pain, I wanted to cry right along with her. I can't wait for the next book, Timepiece. I want to see more of Emerson and Michael, I want to see more of the Hourglass crew, and I really hope we see more of Lily and her abilities. All I can say is that June is going to take a long time to get here.

I recommend checking out Hourglass by Myra McEntire today. It's currently only available in hardcover, but will be out in paperback in only a couple of months. If you can't wait for the paperback then swing by your local library for a copy. If they don't have it, I'm sure they can get it.

No comments: